Search iGo Green Blog

A Passion for Organics

Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin

Friday, June 18, 2010

Rag Rugs - New Green Meaning

In America, rag rugs have always been the specialty of women living in the country or on the frontier. Rag rug methods were brought to the shores of North America with immigrants to the new world, and the hooked, 3-strand braided, loom woven and crocheted rugs are among the most popular ones. Rag rugs are mostly produced by recycling worn clothing or vintage sheeting, which is GREEN and fits well in the modern green movement. Reduce, reuse, and recycle.

I started crocheting a few years ago, making little things for my daughter and home decor. At the end of last year, this idea of rag rug crocheting hit me right there when we were completing new floors for the rest of the house. I have tons of old bed sheets, every one has its story to share with my kids. I keep buying new sheet sets and duvet covers. Still it is hard to give away those old memories. You can imagine how excited I was to put those vintage sheets to a new meaning in my green commitment.

I have done two rag rug projects up to date, one in stripes, one in oval shape (sort of), both used in the main bathroom. The third and ongoing project will be a mosaic 3x5 rag rug for my home office.

No comments:

Post a Comment